I received George A. Romero’s newest addition to his ever popular “of the Dead” series, “Diary of the Dead”, late last Saturday night. and I spent the better part of that Sunday watching the hell out of it.
Although I can’t say “Diary” is the best zombie movie I ever seen, the fantastic use of the newly popular handy cam style, and the all out ballsyness of the production crew definitely qualifies this for the top 5.
- A fantastic use and expansion of the “handy cam” filming style.
- Solid commentary on culture today.
- Not too gory. (Just gory enough.)
- A triumphant return to the classic low budget zombie flick.
- Well put together.
- Poor acting. (Really? What do you expect?)
- Basic CGI and plot hole cheating.
Some could believe I trusted Mr. Romero a bit to much, seeing I purchased “Diary” without even attending the theatrical run (which was incredibly limited), but that trust was well founded. “Diary of the Dead” is a really interesting look at how the Internet and new media changed the way we get our information and live our day to day lives.
This movie is undoubtedly a solid rental, but if your thing is walking deadw or new and inventive styles of film making I can’t recommend this movie enough for purchase.
Horror Movie Score: 4 severed fingers out of 5